Burgh Castle was once one of several Roman shore forts built to defend against the Saxon raids on the east and south coasts of Britain. The ruins are just a short distance from Caister-on-Sea and Great Yarmouth in Norfolk.
There were two Roman Saxon Shore Forts in the area - Burgh Castle to the south which overlooked what is now Breydon Water on the Norfolk Broads and guarded the southern part of the estuary, and the much larger Caister Roman Fort which housed the stores, supplies, infantry, cavalry and sailors.
Cow Tower in Norwich is situated on a bend in the River Wensum and is one of the earliest examples of a medieval purpose-built artillery blockhouse. The tower was built to defend a strategic north-eastern point in Norwich's city defences from the possible invasion of French forces and English rebels.
Castle Acre Priory was founded in 1089 by William de Warenne the son of the 1st Earl of Surrey following a visit to the great monastery in Cluny in France wth his wife. So impressed were they by its beauty and holiness that they vowed to introduce the Cluniac order of monks to England.
Some of the most impressive features inside the church include the ornate and richly-carved large medieval font that was brought in from Suffolk by the Victorians in 1902, and the incredible stained glass windows.
Raynham Hall is a Grade I listed building in Fakenham, Norfolk and was built in the early 17th century by Sir Roger Townshend. It is one of the oldest halls in Norfolk and was greatly influenced by European architecture and style, particularly the Italian contemporary red brick design.
Scroby Sands Wind Farm is Britain's largest commercial offshore wind farm and has been supplying the National Grid with energy since 2005. It is situated 2.5 kilometres off the Great Yarmouth and Caister-on-Sea coast in Norfolk and is now a popular landmark and tourist attraction.
St. Agnes Church is a large, magnificent 14th century church in the centre of the village of Cawston in Norfolk. It is consdered one of the finest medieval churches in Norfolk and has a 120 foot bell tower that is visible for many miles around.
In 1649 the Church of St. Nicholas was divided into three separate parts as the Puritans demanded the use of the building as their church. The Puritans used the Chancel, the Anglican Church had the use of the south isle, and the Presbyterians used the north isle.
The Augustinian priory in St Olaves was founded by Sir Roger Fitz Osbert of Somerley in the time of Henry III in the early 13th century and named after the 11th century king and patron saint of Norway, Olav.
In the Norfolk Broads and rivers bream, roach and rudd were plentiful, carp were occasionally met with, especially in the River Waveney, tench were sometimes taken, and the capture of large perch was often recorded. Pike were not so abundant as in previous times, but still provided good sport.