St. Olave's Priory near Great Yarmouth
The Augustinian priory in St Olaves was founded by Sir Roger Fitz Osbert of Somerley in the time of Henry III in the early 13th century and named after the 11th century king and patron saint of Norway, Olav. It was dedicated to St. Olave, The Blessed Virgin Mary, and St. Edmund, King and Martyr. Today, the only remains that can be seen are the brick-vaulted udercroft and two isles of the Lady Chapel. There is some evidence of the refectory but this is now a barn.
The ruins of St. Olave's Priory are located in the village of St. Olaves about 5 miles south-west of Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. The best-surviving and most interesting part of these historic ruins is the undercroft with its vaulted brick ceiling - an imporant and early medieval example of brickwork in England. The only parts of the church to survive are the west wall and parts of the north wall. St. Olave's Priory was suppressed in 1537 and Sir Henry Jerningham converted the buildings to the north of the cloister into a private dwelling which was demolished in 1784.
St. Olave's Priory,
Reference, Resources and further Reading
Wikipedia - St. Olave's Priory
Copyright, licence, research and article source information.
Reproduced and/or adapted for interest and educational purposes.